Santo Domingo City Tour (full-day)
A cultural day out, exploring the capital city, the oldest city in the Americas and whose colonial zone has been designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Visit the house built by Columbus, the Cathedral and see the Christopher Columbus lighthouse, the explorer’s final resting place. Soak up the atmosphere of the oldest street of the new world “Calle las Damas” and experience a Dominican market where the bargains are endless & bartering is fun.
Cathedral María La Menor
Our tour includes:
- Three Eyes Caves, nowadays a monument comprising three lakes where Taino Indians used to live.
- Entrance to Alcázar de Colón (Columbus house),
- Museum of the Royal Households, in colonial times this was the governor's palace, and up to 1947 during the dictatorship of Trujillo was the presidential palace
- National Pantheon: built in 1714, the final resting place of many Dominican heroes. In colonial times this was a church belonging to Spanish Jesuits
- Walk along Calle las Damas (The oldest street in the New World, dating back to 1502. The wife of Viceroy Don Diego Columbus, son of Christopher Columbus, used to walk here.)
- Cathedral María la Menor, the first cathedral in the Americas, built 1523 to 1540. It was here until 1992 where the remains of Christopher Columbus lay in state
- Panoramic view of Ozama Fortress, the oldest military monument in the Americas, one of the first monuments to be constructed in the colonial city.
- External view of the Presidential Palace
- Columbus Lighthouse, a large monument in the form of a Latin cross, the final resting place of Admiral Christopher Columbus
- Mercado Modelo (handicrafts market)
- Free time for shopping in El Conde street
- Lunch (excl. drinks) in El Conuco restaurant
Pick-up from your hotel at 8 am. Daily except Mondays.
Saona Island (full-day)(This description of a private tour to Saona would be for small groups of up to 20 persons, and you have the option of getting to/from Saona by private speedboat just for your little group) or on a large catamaran with many other daytrippers. Click for a truly exclusive private catamaran tour to Saona Island for larger groups)
Escape to Saona Island, a protected national park, universally loved for its powdery white beaches and serene turquoise waters. We embark on our speedboat from the picturesque fishing village of Bayahibe. On the island time to relax under a palm tree or bathe in the crystal-clear waters, complete heaven! Lunch (included) will be served on the beach, and includes refreshments. On the way back to the Bayahibe beach, we make an exciting stop in the “natural swimming pool” an area of open sea where the water is only waist-deep, and where one can see many starfish. This is a truly exclusive day out and lets you experience the finest of Caribbean beaches.
Pick-up from your hotel at 8:00 am. Daily.
Altos de Chavón & Cueva de las Maravillas (half-day)On arrival at Altos de Chavon, the perfect recreation of a 16th-Century Mediterranean village, high over the Chavon river, there is time for a leisurely stroll through this sleepy artists’ colony which has much to offer, including:
- Amphitheater which has been host to concerts by such stars as Frank Sinatra, and Elton John amongst others.
- Chapel and museum
- Panoramic view of Chavon river which has been used as a movie location
- Time for shopping in the boutiques in Altos de Chavon
At the end of our visit to Altos de Chavon, a visit to the underground cave complex Cueva de las Maravillas (out of town) with pre-Columbus paintings.
This tour can be conducted in the morning or afternoon. Pick-up from your hotel at 9 am/2 pm. Daily except Sundays.